Built at the yard of Cochrane and Sons Ltd., Selby HMS Flotta, a steel Isles Class minesweeper, was launched on 13th February 1941. She measured 164.0′ x 27.5′ x 10.5′ and weighed 545 gross tons. She had a triple expansion steam engine by C D Holmes and Co Ltd., Hull delivering 850 net horse power.
On 29th October 1941, under the command of Sub-Lieutenant A Smith RNVR, Flotta was patrolling off the Scottish east coast when she ran aground near Buchan Ness. The ship’s distress signals were answered by the Peterhead lifeboat Julia Park Barry which stood close by for hours until it was determined that the ship was in no danger. Fourteen crew members remained aboard hoping to refloat the ship at a suitable high tide. However, when, on 6th November she did float off, the helpless vessel quickly drifted off shore. New distress signals brought the Julia Park Barry back to the ship and they succeeded in taking off nine crew members. Five other crewmen were unable to escape and went down with the ship when she foundered 3 miles ESE of Buchan Ness lighthouse.
The wreck of the Flotta was known to local fishermen for many years and nicknamed the ‘four mile wreck.’ She was dived and identified by a team of local divers in 2007. They reported the wreck lying upright and in tact in the position noted above. Her graceful in tact bow faces NE. The central bridge and cabin structure were essentially complete at this date and on her rear section depth charges still sit in their cradles waiting to be fired with all the depth charge handling equipment easily identifiable. Her K-gun depth charge launchers were still in place. Her anti-aircraft gun has fallen from its cradle. She lies 63 metres in position 57°27.317’N, 001°41.365’W oriented 040°/220°.