Built for T Kish and Co Ltd of Barrow and launched on 20 September 1883 as Balbus, the ship was to transfer to Swedish ownership in 1892 when she was purchased by Rederi A/B Sigurd of Malmo who re-named her Louise.
She was then purchased by her final owners at the end of World War One for routes around the North Sea coasts and re-named Stjernvik . The ship measured 227.8′ x 31.7′ x 13.9′ and weighed 961 gross tons, 672 net tons. She had a compound steam engine by Westray, Copeland an Co Ltd. delivering 163 net horse power.
Under this ownership the Stjernvik was to enjoy ten years of successful service before she began what was to be her final voyage in April 1928. She set out from Ridham in Kent in ballast bound for Burntisland where she was to pick up her next cargo. As she approached the Firth of Forth on the 12th of the month the weather was calm but a thick fog enveloped the area and, as a result her captain kept her steaming at a slow speed with lookouts peering through the gloom. As she passed the small island of Fidra near North Berwick another steamship appeared out of the fog heading straight for them. She was the British steamship British Ambassador enrolee from Grangemouth to the Tyne in ballast. Soon after the British Ambassador crashed into the starboard side of the Stjernvik holing her to the water line. It was instantly obvious the Stjernvik would founder.
As the two ships clung together the crew of the Stjernvik scrambled aboard the lifeboats before being picked up by the British Ambassador which then backed away leaving the crippled Swedish ship sinking rapidly as it receded in the poor visibility. They radioed ashore to warn other ships that they Stjernvik would probably remain partially afloat from some time but that they expected her to sink some three and a half miles 118 degrees from Fidra Island. The British Ambassador then turned back to drop off the stunned crewmen at Leith before proceeding onwards to the Tyne despite some considerable damage to her stem and a hole seven feet above the water line.
The wreck of the Stjernvik lies in the position 56°07.517’N, 002°49.181’W oriented 105°/285° and lies is 47 metres with a least depth over the wreck of 38 metres. The wreck and is fairly in tact sitting upright with her four holds, two forward ad two the rear lying empty and open. Both ends of the ship are festooned with nets.
The bow and superstructure are partially collapsed and the collision damage on the starboard side is clearly visible.