Launched from the yard of Robert Duncan & Company of Port Glasgow (Yard No 224) in May 1886, the Argyll was powered by a two cylinder compound steam engine manufactured by Muir & Houston of Glasgow. Dimensions were 139.9′ x 23.1′ x 9.4’ with a net tonnage of 34 tons.
The small coastal steamer Argyll ran aground on Milleur Point around 3am on 17th September 1893 while on a voyage from Glasgow to Campbeltown and Stranraer. She was badly holed on the rocks and sank shortly after going ashore.
News of the accident quickly reached Stranraer and the schooner Scotia set out for the head of Loch Ryan to render assistance. The crew of the Argyll succeeded in off-loading 35 tons of her cargo into the Scotia leaving the remainder, which was waterlogged, in the hold.
Efforts to raise the wreck were made by the Glasgow Salvage Association over the next ten days and she was finally raised late on 27th September. Unfortunately the makeshift concrete repairs to her hull did not hold under pressure and she quickly sank again in four fathoms close to where she had originally stranded. A further attempt to refloat the Argyll the following day proved unsuccessful and she was finally abandoned.
The wreck of the Argyll was sold at auction on 6th October for £74 with materials and fittings salved realising a further £60. The mate who had been on watch at the time, was blamed for the accident at the subsequent enquiry.
The remains of the Argyll, which was substantially salved at a later date, lie scattered among the rocks between 3 and 5 metres in approximate position 55° 01.150’N, 05° 05.950’W off Milleur Point.