The Swedish cargo steamship Arnold was originally launched from the yard of J Bulmer and Co Ltd, Sunderland on 3rd January 1881 for her original owners R M Sloman & Co. of Hamburg, she was launched as the Capri. In 1897 she was sold to A. Monsen of Tonsberg and renamed Tyri. A further sale came in 1912 to Adolf Bratt of Gothenburg when she was renamed Arnold. She measured 231.0′ x 35.0′ x 14.7′ and weighed 1167 gross tons, 704 net tons. She was powered by a two-cylinder compound steam engine built by North East Marine Ltd, Sunderland delivering 131nhp.
The Arnold left Belfast for Amble on the Northumberland coast on the 17 January 1925 but was never to reach her destination. Contemporary reports of her loss are brief only stating that on the following day she ran aground on rocks off Soa Island, Coll in foggy weather around 08:30 hrs. Although the crew managed to escape safely the ship was reported aground with forepart full of water and stern on the rocks. Within hours of going aground she broke in two and became a total wreck.
The crew landed inshore and were greeted by a local crofter who, through a Mr. Stewart the proprietor of Breachacha Castle managed to find lodgings for the crew until they could be taken to Oban where they were cared for by the local Shipwrecked Mariners Society.
The Wreck Today
There is a large wreck of similar dimensions lying to the west of the northernmost of three rocks which are charted and break the surface a low tide to the south west of Eilean Iomallach. The authors believe that this is the Arnold although no conclusive evidence could be traced. We have no records of any other large steamship lost in this vicinity.
In any case there is definitely a wreck here in position 56° 33.843N, 006° 39.063W (GPS). The wreck, which is pointing north, lies along the side of the reef in depths of 8 – 12 metres. She has clearly been subject to heavy salvage but otherwise is probably not often dived despite her proximity to the popular wreck of the Tapti. Many of the major structures of the ship are still visible including boilers, engine, propeller shaft with broken cast propeller still attached and stern steering gear. Her holds and some of the deck structures are also still apparent. The site is exposed to the south and east and could be subject to some tidal flow at some states of the tide.