Built at the Wigham Richardson shipyard in Newcastle (Yard No 281), the steel steamship Bathori measured 285.0′ 38.2′ x 23.1’ and weighed 2223 gross tons. Launched in 1892 she was powered by a triple expansion steam engine of 287 nhp.
One of the more fortunate vessels to go ashore on the Galloway coast was the cargo steamer Bathori. Owned by the Royal Hungarian Sea Navigation Company, she stranded in Larbrax Bay on Sunday, 5th November, 1897 while heading for Glasgow with a general cargo from her home port of Fiume.
The Bathori remained ashore for three months, during which time she was battered by frequent gales, while part of her cargo was removed. This work was undertaken by the Glasgow Salvage Association and much of the cargo, which included flour, almonds, dried fruit and sulphur, was taken to Glasgow by the steamers Polarlight, Acolight and Pirate.
The Bathori was eventually refloated on 8th March, 1898 and moored alongside the Railway Pier at Stranraer while temporary repairs were made. She finally arrived in Glasgow on 11th March where the remainder of her cargo was discharged and she was dry docked for repairs.