The steel steam trawler Belmont was launched from the yard of Scott and Sons, Bowling (Yard No 103) on 27th March 1906. She measured 116.3′ x 21.3′ x 11.4′ and her tonnage was 209 gross tons, 54 net tons. She was powered by a triple expansion steam engine by Gauldie, Gillespie and Co Ltd., Glasgow delivering 66 registered horse power.
Built for the Double Steam Fishing Co Ltd of Fleetwood she began her career there as FD64. Only months after her launch she stranded on Pilling Sands, Lancashire but luckily was refloated without serious damage and returned quickly to service.
In 1918 she was sold to William Would of Grimsby who changed her registration and fishing number to GY1262. After a period as a requisitioned minesweeper during World War One she returned to her Grimsby owners before being sold to her final owners, Thomas T Irvin of Aberdeen in 1925 and registered A101.
On 26th January 1928 she was returning to sea under the command of her skipper James Sinkins who had his usual crew of nine men aboard. As they crossed the bar at Peterhead south harbour in heavy seas they were hit by a huge wave which smashed her against the rocks tearing of her propeller and ripped a huge hole in her hull near the bunkers. Water rushed in quickly flooding the engine room and extinguishing the fires. Thankfully, despite the crashing waves and the stranded vessel’s heavy list to port the crew were safely taken off by breeches buoy soon after.
The Belmont was lodged high and dry on Horseback Rocks and despite the damage it was hoped that she could be refloated and repaired. The Salvage vessel Iron Axe was summoned but before it could arrive on scene the owners concluded that, due to the continual pounding of the vessel on the rocks, salvage was impossible. The Belmont was written off as a constructive total loss and was later broken up in situ.
We would like to thank Lloyd’s Register Foundation – Heritage & Education Centre for allowing us to reproduce documents from their archive in this article.