The Bombardier was launched in October 1903 from the yard of the Ardrossan Dry Dock & S B Co Ltd. as a small steel coaster of 70net tons. She was powered by a two cylinder compound steam engine provided by J Menzies Co Ltd of Leith. Her dimensions were 115.1′ x 22.1′ x 8.5’.
The Bombardier was registered in Glasgow and owned by Messrs Purdie, Glen & Miller. On the 5 May 1908 she ran aground in thick fog in West Tarbet Bay, Mull of Galloway, while on a voyage from Belfast to Workington in ballast. The crew easily made it ashore in the ship’s boat.
From the outset Lloyds agent in Stranraer did not hold much hope of refloating the vessel as she was badly holed. The British Marine Salvage Company commenced work on 6 May. Prospects of salving the Bombardier increased over the next few days as weather conditions remained good and repair work proceeded favourably. However, the constant strain of tidal movement was taking its toll on her hull and on 9 May, her stern post broke. Salvage of the Bombardier again became doubtful.
The salvage steamer McDuff arrived from Glasgow on 14 May with powerful steam pumps and the temporary repair work continued throughout the next week. An attempt to refloat the Bombardier on 22 May proved unsuccessful due to lack of water. However she was eventually floated off late the following day and towed to Loch Ryan where she was beached. The subsequent damage repair report produced by Lloyds surveyor did not bode well for the Bombardier, noting the need for repair of propeller, sternpost and 74 hull plates and renewal of 47 hull plates and her rudder. Finally, and more importantly, it was noted that her hull was badly indented between midships and stern which would require the removal of engine and boiler to effect repairs.
The Bombardier was eventually refloated, repaired and sold to Spanish owners in Gijon who renamed her La Estrella de Gijon. Following many years service to various Spanish owners she was eventually scrapped in 1974.