Although various minor incidents and stranding’s of paddle steamers have occurred since, the last vessel of this type to become a total loss in the Clyde area was the PS Chevalier on Friday 25th March, 1927. She had been launched in April 1866 from the yard of J & G Thomson in Govan (Yard No.88) for David Hutcheson. The vessels iron hull measured 211.0’ x 22.2’ x 9.3’ with tonnage of 302 gross, 121 net.
At her loss, the Chevalier was owned by David MacBrayne and was on her usual route from Glasgow to Ardrishaig when she was disabled off Tarbert, Loch Fyne when her starboard paddlewheel gave way. Drifting helpless and broadside to a southerly gale, her anchors were cast but did not hold and she was driven onto the rocks at the south east end of Barmore Island. The ship’s boats were immediately launched and the twenty passengers, their luggage and the crew were safely landed ashore near Stonefield Castle. The passengers and some of the crew were rescued later that day by another MacBrayne’s vessel, the Gondalier and taken to Ardrishaig. Some of the crew remained near the vessel including Captain Cameron and they were able to board the vessel the following day to recover equipment of value and personal possessions. The Chevalier was awash and sitting on large boulders close to the shore, she had clearly been holed in the stormy sea conditions.
and towed into Tarbert harbour by the Liverpool tug Trover. She remained in Tarbert for a two days while further repairs were made before being towed to Greenock, where she arrived on 4 April and dry docked for inspection.
The outcome of the inspections confirmed that the extensive repairs required to an already 60 year old vessel were deemed to be uneconomical and the Chevalier was written off as a constructive total loss. She was eventually taken to Troon later in April where she was finally dismantled.