The steel barque Guethary was launched from the yard of Nantais de Construction, Nantes, France (Yard No 19) on 1st September 1901. She measured 277.0′ x 40.4′ x 22.5′ and her tonnage was 2297 gross tons, 1930 net tons. She was ordered by Societe Bayonnaisse de Navigation of Bayonne, France and operated for this company until she was sold to the Societe Anon des Voiliers Normand of Rouen.
At 1:48pm on 22nd October, 1914 the Guethary ran aground below the light on Eilean a’Chuirn off south east Islay. The cause of the loss is not known but it is difficult to see how the ship could have failed to see the light from the island therefore it must be assumed that she was disabled in some way, probably by bad weather. In any case, her voyage from New Caledonia to Glasgow with a cargo of mineral nickel was to be her last because, despite hopes to the contrary, she became a total wreck. Her crew of twenty two made it safely ashore. She was reported by the local Lloyds agent to be hung amidships and no doubt broke up quickly in bad weather.
The remains of the Guethary lie on a sloping rocky seabed within 50 metres of the light on Eilean a’Chuirn in approximate position 55° 40.003’N, 006° 01.183’W (GPS). She lies on a north south axis with the bow pointing almost directly towards the shore lying in less than 5 metres while the stern lies in over 10 metres. There are still substantial amounts of wreckage although she has clearly been heavily salvaged at some point.