The wooden barque La France was launched from the Alloa yard of George and Thomas Adamson (Yard No 398) on 4th June 1867 but was immediately renamed Bleville . She measured 155.5′ x 30.6′ x 19.4′ and her tonnage was 705 gross tons, 684 net tons.
Ordered by Perguer et Fils of La Havre she operated from that port until she was sold to Gildemeister et Reis of Bremen in 1885 who renamed her Ferdinand. She was sold to J P Jonnson of Landkrona, Sweden in 1892 and renamed again, this time she became Hans. Finally she was purchased by F Liljefors in 1895 continuing to operate out of Landskrona.
On 1st May 1900 the Hans was nearing the end of a long Transatlntic voyage from Carrabelle, Florida for Granton with a cargo of resin. She was under the command of Captain J Lenander who had a crew of eleven men aboard. Her passage through the treacherous waters of the Pentland Firth was very difficult. Caught in a WNW force 7 gale her sails and then her wheel and rudder were swept away leaving the ship helpless in the dangerous waters of the Scottish north coast. Thankfully the wind swept her through the Pentland Firth towards the Pentland Skerries and into open water. The shattered crew were forced to abandon the disabled ship when the trawler Celtic offered assistance and sent a boat across to take them off. The Celtic attached a tow line to the disabled barque and attempted a tow towards Wick but the tow line eventually snapped and they were unable to re-attach so the Hans was abandoned to the mercy of the wind and waves. She drifted drifted on westwards and then south approaching the coast near Wick finally coming ashore among the rocks at Broad Haven just north of Wick Bay beach. It was initially hoped that she might be successfully refloated but in the days that followed she was battered by storms and became a total wreck.