The steel steamship Hermann was launched from the yard of Rostock AG (Yard No 115) in 1890. She measured 217.8′ x 33.5′ x 13.1′ and her tonnage was 992 gross tons, 621 net tons. She was built for the Preston Steam Navigation Co Ltd.
She departed from Fleetwood at 5am on 2nd December 1904 bound for Fredericia, Denmark with a cargo of rock salt. She was under the command of John Murchie who had a crew of fifteen aboard. She proceeded north and steered a course close to the Scottish west coast presumably attempting to benefit from the shelter of the land. She steamed up the Firth of Lorne and then north west up the Sound of Mull. By 4.55pm on 3rd December she was abeam the lighthouse at the north end of the Sound and one hour later passed Ardnamuchan Lighthouse a mile off shore. Here Murchie changed course steering NEby3/4E before going below for tea leaving the chief officer in charge on the bridge. The weather was poor with a fresh WNW wind and heavy rain showers reducing visibility. Half an hour later the skipper returned to the bridge by which time the visibility had reduced dramatically and any lights that had been visible from the shoreline had now disappeared. Concerned, Murchie began to assess their position and heading but minutes later land appeared off their starboard bow. He placed the helm hard to starboard to turn away from the land but it was too late. Lights also appeared off the port bow and, at 7:45pm she ran hard aground with her bow high on the rocks. The crew were able to lower the ship’s boats and row ashore safely. When Murchie visited the wreck the following morning he found that she was labouring heavily with her forehold full of water and engine room and stokehold also flooded. The subsequent enquiry held that the master was entirely to blame for the loss of his ship by trying to steer a course through narrow channels in poor visibility.