This vessel was a barque rigged iron sailing ship of 1455 gross tons. She was built in Quebec and launched in 1855, her dimensions were 217.7′ x 40.1′ x 22.9’. Her official number was 32983.
The Liverpool was owned by John Hall of Newcastle and had sailed for Quebec from Sunderland on 24th August, 1883 with a cargo of coal. Her return journey to Greenock, with a cargo of timber, was uneventful for her twenty one crew until they reached the Clyde on the evening of 11th December.
Around 8pm the winds increased to gale force and Captain Davidson ordered sails set to race for shelter in Loch Ryan. Before long, mountainous seas were breaking over his vessel carrying away companionways, the binnacle and most of her loose deck fittings. Her fate was sealed when her rudder chains broke leaving her helpless to be driven towards a rocky coast. Despite attempts to save her by casting her anchors, the Liverpool was dashed against the shore at Garry Point in Loch Ryan and quickly smashed to pieces. Nineteen of the crew were lost, there were only two survivors.
The wreck of the Liverpool was sold for £800 in May 1884 and subsequently extensively salvaged.