The steel steam trawler Vulture was launched from the yard of Cook, Welton and Gemmell Ltd., Hull (Yard No 239) on 28th June 1899. She measured 115.5′ x 21.0′ x 11.2′ and her tonnage was 190 gross tons, 74 net tons. She was powered by a triple expansion steam engine by McColl and Pollock, Sunderland delivering 52 registered horse power. Built for St Andrews Steam Fishing Co Ltd of Hull she was registered in this port on 31st July 1899 H470.
She was requisitioned by the Admiralty at the outbreak of World War One in August 1914 and renamed Vulture II. She was converted to be used as a minesweeper and given naval number FY310. On 16th March 1918 she was lying at anchor in Loch Eriboll south of Heilem pier when she was run down by HMT Phrontis. Perhaps due to wartime regulations Vulture II was not showing normal riding lights at the time. Her crew, including her Naval skipper William Rudland RNR escaped safely before she sank.
The subsequent enquiry found that Lieutenant Bone RNR of Phrontis was responsible for the loss of Vulture II as he had failed to take appropriate evasive action when alerted to the presence of Vulture II by his lookout.
The wreck of the Vulture II lies in position 58° 29.234’N, 004° 40.340’W oriented 110/290 degrees. She sits upright and mainly in tact with bow and stern best preserved in 27 metres with a least depth clearance of 21 metres.